Akwa Ibom State was created on 23 September 1987 from the former Cross River State, South South Geo-political Region of Nigeria.
The oil rich state produced the highest oil and gas on the country. The Atlantic coastline located in the state stretches 129km from Oron in the East to Ikot Abasi in the West. The State comprises several related sub-ethnic groups. They include Ibibio, Annang, Oron, Eket, Ibeno, Mbo, Okobo and the Adonis. They share a common ancestry and are reputed to be the first settlers in present day South Eastern Nigeria.
Akwa Ibom State Snapshot
- Total land area: 6,900 Km2
- Capital: Uyo
- Local Government Areas: 31 LGAs: Abak, Eastern Obolo, Eket, Esit Eket, Essien Udim, Etim Ekpo, Etinan, Ibeno, Ibesikpo Asutan, Ibiono Ibom, Ika, Ikono, Ikot Abasi, Ikot Ekpene, Ini, Itu, Mbo, Mkpat Enin, Nsit Atai, Nsit Ibom, Nsit Ubium, Obot Akara, Okobo, Onna, Oron, Oruk Anam, Udung Uko, Ukanafun, Uruan, Urue-Offong/Oruko, Uyo.
- Population: 5,867,932 (Male- 2,992,645 and Female- 2,875,287)
- Vegetation: Tropical Monsoon.
- Major crops: Plantain, Oil Palm, Banana, Cassava, Yam, Cocoa.
- Solid minerals: Kaolin, Limestone, Coal
There are six agricultural zones in Akwa Ibom state: Oron, Abak, Ikot Ekpene, Etinan, Eket, and Uyo.
Main Investment Opportunities
Opportunities for investment exist in:
- Light Manufacturing
For more information please visit: http://www.akicorpng.com