Kwara State was created in May 1967, as one of the first of 12 states to replace the nation’s four regions. Originally the state was known as West Central State but the name was changed to Kwara, a local name for the Niger River. The size of the state has been reduced over the years, as new states have been created within the federation.
Kwara State Snapshot
- Total land area: 35,705 Sq. Km
- Local Government Areas: 16 LGAs: Asa, Baruten, Edu, Ekiti, Ifelodun, Illorin East, Illorin South, Illorin West, Irepodun, Isin, Kaiama, Moro, Offa, Oke-Ero, Oyun, Pategi.
- Population: 2,365,353 (Male- 1,193,783 and Female- 1,171,570)
- Vegetation: Forest, Savanna (built up and water body areas)
- Major crops: Yam, Maize, Rice, Sugarcane, Millet, Cotton, and Sorghum.
- Solid minerals: Tantalite, Gold, Kaolin, Columbite, Marble, Talc, Mica, Clay
Main Investment Opportunities
Opportunities for investment exist in:
- Light Manufacturing